The Discovery Center unfortunately had to make a decision to postpone the Columbia River Indian Summer event scheduled for Saturday, September 9 at the museum.
As you are undoubtedly aware, the massive 33,000+ acre wildfire in the Gorge has shut I-84 down for an undetermined amount of time. Winds are supposed to begin blowing smoke eastward toward The Dalles and the air quality is already not good here. With the I-84 freeway closed at this time we have presenters who live in Portland and cannot easily make it to the museum. The freeway closure will affect visitor attendance as well.
We have contacted all our presenters and they were in agreement it is best to postpone. This Indigenous Voices event is important and we really want to share it with the community. We will wait until the Gorge reopens and then reschedule the event.